While cleaning the studio, I’ve come across many materials I’ve saved over the years, sure that they had a great purpose, but never put them to use. Shame. So, since the rainy weather has forced me to focus and keep my hands busy inside, I started some projects. And you can do this one yourself… Sweet cork board.
1. This is the best step… drink lots of wine! Or better yet, have a party! yay!
2. Find an embroidery hoop, and use just the portion with the tightening screw. Place on your table.
3. Place your corks face down (for a flatter finished product) inside of the hoop. I prefer to use the wine stained side for additional visual texture, but it is totally up to your creative discretion. You could paint the ends of the corks for a brighter and livelier final look.
4. Once you’ve stuffed in as many corks as will fit, simply lift the hoop half way up the corks, and tighten. I suggest using a pair of plier to the ultimate tight fit that won’t shred your fingers.
5. Inevitably, a few of the corks will be loose, especially the middle one. A little glue will hold these in place. You can glue all of them together for a more durable cork board, but personally I don’t find it necessary.
6. Now, simply tie a ribbon or string in a long loop around the tightening screw and finish with a bow, if you like.
7. Hang and display, and smile because you’ve just made something beautiful and functional!